Wednesday 14 May 2014

Time for tea

I've had a lovely couple of days, busy but just lovely.  Firstly, Mother's Day, or Mother's Day Weekend as I have now renamed it (one day was never enough to honour me lol) started on Saturday with homemade waffles for breakfast and lunch at a local pasta restaurant.


Then Sunday, with bacon and eggs served in bed by DH and a few little visitors bearing gifts of all sorts: cabled scarf, football scarf, teddy bear mug, slippers and a sweet little notepad.  We headed off to the countryside to visit my Mum and Dad mid morning and had homemade pumpkin soup for lunch followed homemade coffee flavoured ice-cream and lounging about catching up on this and that.  Very relaxing!

Monday came before I knew it and so time to get back to being busy.  Currently I am studying to become a certified bookkeeper and so there is homework to be done, and assignments to be submitted.  I severely underestimated the amount of work this course entails and each unit seems to drag on forever, but I am enjoying it and hope to be finished by the end of the year.

Yesterday I had a most enjoyable catch up with a couple of girlfriends.  Oh were we spoilt!  There is only three of us but this time the host put on a huge spread and this included SCONES!  Oh my... I love nothing more than a freshly baked scone with strawberry jam and whipped cream.  One of life's sheer delights.  Coupled with a hot cup of tea I can think of nothing better to enjoy in the afternoon before the hustle and bustle of school pickup.

My favourite scone recipe is Lemonade Scones.  A little messy to make I must confess, but light and fluffy and a real pleasure to eat.  Here is my version:



Lemonade Scones

3 Cups Self Raising flour
a pinch of salt
1 cup of lemonade
1 cup of thickened cream

Preheat oven to 220 C.

Sift dry ingredients into large mixing bowl and make a well in the centre.

Pour in the lemonade and cream and gently mix together with a knife.  Empty contents of bowl onto lightly floured bench top and knead very gently.

DO NOT over handle the dough.  You may need to sprinkle over a little flour whist kneading to prevent sticking. 

Cut 12 scones with cutter and place closely together on greased baking tray.

Bake 10-12 mins (longer if still doughy in the middle).

Serve with jam and cream.


The only other thing I like more than eating sweet treats is sewing.  I haven't been doing a lot, I must confess due to studying but I would like to give you a little sneak peak at something I've been working on.



You just never know when you start to experiment where a design will lead you.  It's not quite the look I'm after but I love it and it has lead me to experiment further with other ideas.  It's made using the selvages and strings from trimming/squaring up other projects so each fabric reminds me of the last time I used it.  I just love using up the scraps, its a very frugal project and the colours seem to sparkle against the white background.  It will be a cushion and I plan to finish it by the end of the week and put it up here as a free tutorial.

Also, this has been an ongoing work in progress for the past couple of years and is definitely a labour of love.




It's made of 1" paper pieced hexagons, hand sewn, and I believe the arrangement is called Grandma's Garden.  Typically, at the end of each day, my DH and I sit and catch up on a few TV series we are watching and I like to work on this.  It helps me wind down before bed and makes me feel I'm getting something done just for me.  Actually I have quite a few WIP's *oh the guilt* so have decided to add these on the sidebar to inspire me to finish them.  I can be so fickle sometimes jumping from one project to the next, as each one inspires me.  Why? Because I can! haha

Until next time

Yours in stitches

Leanne x

No comments:

Post a Comment